Thursday, November 13, 2008

Usher WTF

Since this is the "kick off" of my new blog, I figured we'd get right down to business. I'm not going to do any long explanations of why I believe what I believe, and I'm not going to get into any deep introspective commentary on life and my opinions on the many social ills facing this great country we call America. Been there, done that, and don't want to do it again (lol). This isn't that type of party. I'll save all the dark and depressing shit for my other blog "Urban Socialite" (http://blog.demonspencer.com) . This blog is something totally different. If I had to describe it in two words, I'd call it "PURE SUGAR". To get my point across, here's another cute analogy: "DeMon's Blue Options" (aka DBO) is like People magazine, and my other blog "Urban Socialite" is like Newsweek. "Urban Socialite" is like Oprah to DBO's Maury (and you arrrrrreeeeeeee NOT the father lol). Anyway, you get the point. Now that we got that disclaimer out of the way, I can let it all out and get a lil' iggnent with yall. . . . I'm an information whore and pop culture is like my pimp. I absorb every story, comment, interview, from tv, magazines, books, blogs, gossip, no matter how small insignificant or frivolous the information may be. I see it, cook it, eat it up, shit it out, and do it all over again while loving every single minute of it. Pop culture is the entity that breaths optimism and hope and embodies the collective voice of the people. Damn... I forgot my promise not to get all deep and analytical. My bad... Ok, reset starrrrrrrrrting NOW.

Now on to the nitty gritty. Here are a couple of thoughts and observations that are on my mind right now.

#1. Has anyone heard and actually listened to the lyrics of Usher's new song "Trading Places"? That shit bugged me out for real. I first heard it in my car about a month ago while driving to NC from Atlanta. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After it went off, I convinced myself that it was some crazy radio personality doing a paradey (*Weird Al style*) making fun of those persistent rumors about Usher's sexuality. So when I got home, I went online and found out that it wasn't a joke or paradey at all. It was a real song on Usher's real album. As if that wasn't enough, he released it as a single and made a video for it. I'm not sure if most straight people are aware of the gay references and innuendo laced and weaved thought the song. If you fall into that category (straight with no experience in speaking gay as a second language), then I suggest you read up on it, and then listen to the song afterwards. Here are a few major key words to get you started "Top" "Bottom" and "Trade". I would translate for you, but you'd never learn anything that way (I'm sure your mama & 'dem said that to you every time you asked how to spell something or asked what a particular word meant, way back in your school days.).

All of that makes me wonder what Usher's motives really are. Is he just trying to create controversy to sell more cd's? Is he trying to "come out of the closet" without actually admitting it as a fact (as in bi-sexual, or outright gay)? Is he trying to send his gay fans a little nod & wink to let us know how open and accepting he is? Whatever his reasons are, the song is HOT no matter what. And he's HOT no matter what.

I'd love to hear what you think about it, and if you have another motive that I didn't mention here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails