Sunday, November 30, 2008

Snoop Kills'em All! ... Fo Shizzle


I know I'm a little late on  this one, but I just happen to be flipping through channels at 2am, and stumbled upon Comedy Centrals roast of Flava Flave.  I think this originally aired about a month or two ago, but better late than never.  I started to flip right on past it, but then I saw my boy Katt Williams was the host, so I stopped & decided to watch it.  First let me say that this roast was the funniest shit I've seen in a very long time.  I don't think I've ever laughed through a whole show before.  So if you love irreverent non politically correct "yo mama" style punchline heavy comedy, this should be at the top of your list.  Just check out the star-studded line up:  Katt Williams, Jeff Ross, Jimmy Kimble, Ice T, Carrot Top (i know he shouldn't be on this list of "stars", but I'm adding him anyway... lol), Sommore', Lisa Lampenelli, Patton Oswald, and Snoop Dogg just to name a few.  But the highlight of the whole show was a bit surprising.  You would think that one of the more established comedians that do this for a living would be the funniest, but that was not the case here.  Sure all of them made me laugh, but there was one stand out celeb that made me laugh so hard I had to take an aspirin to get rid of my laugh-induced head ache he caused.  I'm referring to Snoop Dogg.  I've always been a HUGE fan of "The Dogg Father".  We go way back.  I knew him before he dropped the Doggy off his name.  All the way back before he even revived Dr. Dre's career, and made him "GANGSTA" again.  Snoop has that intangible unexplainable thing that makes him ooze charisma.  Snoop is like that lovable bad guy that can call you a bitch, knock the shit out of you, then make you laugh while he does it.  If I could bottle Snoops essence, charisma, talent, personality, cool, and originality, I would be a billionaire in less than 24 hours.  And that's no exaggeration at all.  ... But, getting back to my point.  When Snoop got up to the podium to roast Flave, he wrecked shop.  He made all the other comedians look like amateurs.  Every single joke killed.  He made it look almost easy.  All of the other comedians came on stage with notes on paper or cards, and referred to them throughout their set.  Snoop came on stage with nothing but a blunt and his hypnotising OG type charismatic swagg.  He seemed so natural... kind of like he was just kicking it with some friends cracking jokes and disses among each other, and sharing quips.  I honestly believe that he could become a very successful comedian if he wanted to.  I know a lot of stuff about Snoop because I'm a lifelong fan of his, and I've even met him in person.  I've heard people say how funny he is, but I never expected him to be on that level with comedy.  In retrospect, I shouldn't of been all that surprised.  This man is a living legend, and whatever he does, he smashes it.  Snoop is more than just a rapper out to make a quick buck by trading on his fame... He's an entertainer that's been at the top of his game for over a decade.  I would challenge anyone that can think of even one other rapper who is just as relevant now as he was 15 years ago.  Can't do it, can ya?  Me either (lol).  Snoop transcends the normal definition of what a rapper is.  He breaks that mold again and again.  He has become a brand (one of the main tools to have longevity in the music business).

If you can catch Flava Flave's roast on Comedy Central, I'd advise you to watch it, and be prepared to laugh.  After watching it, I have no doubt that you'll agree that Snoop was the highlight of the whole show.  Not taking anything away from Katt Williams, because he was funny too, but I'm expecting to laugh when he does his jokes, but Snoop just caught me by surprise.

Here's a clip from the roast:



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails